Let me start off by saying that I’m not 100% happy with my song choices this week. There are so many songs in the world and to limit it to five is an impossible task. These are by no means my most popular posts, but they are ones that I really like doing and I hope someone who shares my love of good music will appreciate them. I’m going to be sharing five of my current favorite songs. I seemed to gravitate more towards pop music and recent finds this week, with some other stuff mixed in between. The Spotify playlist will be embedded at the bottom of the post so you can listen to the songs. Fingers crossed that it works!
[Run Away With Me – Carly Rae Jepsen] I love the raspiness of Carly Rae Jepsen’s voice. Her new album just came out and this is the only song I bothered to download off of it. It gives off a Taylor Swift-esque vibe.
[Everything I Didn’t Say – 5 Seconds Of Summer] I had to throw this one in because last week I saw 5 Seconds Of Summer perform live for the third time. This is one of my favorite songs that they did and I’ve been listening to it a lot since! (The video I took below is of Amnesia, not Everything I Didn’t Say.)
[House Party – Sam Hunt] It’s only fair to have a country song in the mix. In the Summer I tend to listen to WAY more country music than when the cooler weather begins to set in. But recently while it’s still hot, I’ve been listening to this a bunch. I think my roommates would be proud.
[Downtown – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis] I heard this for the first time on the VMA’s a couple of weeks ago. It’s got a very Uptown Funk old-school sound and I’m loving it.
[Eyes Shut – Years & Years] I found out about this English band through a YouTuber that I watch. I love this song and it puts me in a really calm state of mind.
Music Discovery I • any songs from my iTunes library
Music Discovery II • songs I downloaded in June of 2015
When boredom strikes, create another irrelevant blog series. Below is a list of the top 10 songs on the iTunes pop chart as of today, July 29th. As I’ve mentioned before, I love listening to and discovering new music. I’m going to be listening to each song and giving my (very brief and probably biased) opinion of it. Looking at this weeks chart, I’ve actually heard all of these songs before, except for one – which makes my job way easier. I’m also noticing that I’m very strongly opinionated about each of these songs. I either love it or hate it, there’s not really an in between or a song I’m just “eh” about.
1. Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix Radio Edit) – Omi
- Opinion: I love this song. Even though it’s overplayed, the annoyance hasn’t hit me yet. [7/10]
2. Fight Song – Rachel Platten
- Opinion: I didn’t like this song at first. Then after hearing it a couple of times I loved it. Now I only love it if I can BLAST it in my car and feel all empowered and stuff. [7.5/10]
3. Good for You (feat. A$AP Rocky) – Selena Gomez
- Opinion: Do not like. Weird. [2.5/10]
4. Honey, I’m Good. – Andy Grammer
- Opinion: Has that thing about it that gets it stuck in your head for days. Actually all of these songs do. I don’t really understand the message of it but it’s fun. I don’t get why people think it’s a country song. [8.5/10]
5. Marvin Gaye (feat. Meghan Trainor) – Charlie Puth
- Opinion: Love. I really have not liked a single one of Meghan Trainor’s other songs but this one is great, maybe because Charlie Puth sings more than her. [9/10]
6. Cool for the Summer – Demi Lovato
- Opinion: Nope. I’ve liked every other Demi Lovato single that she has ever released (I checked) but not this one. [2/10]
7. Worth It (feat. Kid Ink) – Fifth Harmony
- Opinion: It’s so good. I’m not even embarrassed to say that. [8/10]
8. Bad Blood (feat. Kendrick Lamar) – Taylor Swift
- Opinion: Not my favorite track off of 1989, but still good and fun to sing along with. [8/10]
9. Stitches – Shawn Mendes
- Opinion: This is the song I had never heard before. Not a fan. I like some of his other songs (I think I have two others downloaded) but this one isn’t the greatest. I don’t like the obvious rhyming. If you listen to the song you’ll get what I mean. [3/10]
10. Fire N Gold – Bea Miller
- Opinion: Like. Wishing I had played this on the 4th of July because it gives me that vibe. [8/10]