As you may or may not know, I recently started a series where I listen to the top 10 songs on various iTunes charts and give a short and most likely unhelpful review of them. Today (August 12th) I will be reviewing the top 10 songs from the alternative chart. I love finding new music and hopefully in the near future I’ll be doing another Music Discovery post with some of the great songs I’ve come across and have been loving lately.
1. High By the Beach – Lana Del Rey
- Opinion: Can I be honest for a second? Before I listen to this song I need to confess that Lana Del Rey annoys me to no end. Please don’t hate me. *Okay, listening now.* I hate it. It’s not necessarily her voice or her unique sound that I don’t like, something about her just turns me off. I’m struggling to even get through the 1:30 preview. [1.5/10]
2. Uma Thurman – Fall Out Boy
- Opinion: I do like this song. It’s way better than “Centuries”, which I talk about below. Still not loving it enough to download. Catchy tune though! [6/10]
3. Shut Up and Dance – WALK THE MOON
- Opinion: When I first heard this song for whatever reason I always turned the station right away. Lately I love it. I don’t know what caused this sudden switch to an obsession, but I think it’s great. [9/10]
4. Renegades – X Ambassadors
- Opinion: Ugh, okay. I really like this song, I do, but I just can’t bring myself to listen to it voluntarily. It just reminds me too much of the Jeep Renegade commercial. They performed at my college along with The Mowgli’s during my final semester and I really regret not going. [6.5/10]
5. Ex’s & Oh’s – Elle King
- Opinion: It’s catchy, I have to say. Not my favorite though. I don’t think it would ever be one of those songs that I could listen to over and over. [4/10]
6. Talking Body – Tove Lo
- Opinion: Nah. Why does this song exist and why is it on the alternative chart? [1/10]
7. Tear In My Heart – twenty one pilots
- Opinion: Some of the twenty one pilots songs are very strange. Or am I thinking of AWOLNATION? Or both. I get them confused. But I like this one, good vibes. “You fell asleep in my car, I drove the whole time,
but that’s okay, I’ll just avoid the holes so you sleep fine.” [8/10]
8. Centuries – Fall Out Boy
- Opinion: Not a huge fan. I’m sure it would be a thrilling song to crank up the bass while driving down a back road, but it’s not for me. [5/10]
9. Riptide – Vance Joy
- Opinion: This is another one that I think I would really like if I didn’t hear it every three seconds on the radio. [6.5/10]
10. First – Cold War Kids
- Opinion: I like it a lot! I didn’t think I had heard it before but now that the chorus is playing I’m realizing I have. Definitely putting this one on my download list. I actually want to give some of their other songs a listen as well. [8/10]
– Previously: Top 10 Pop Songs (July 29th) –
8 thoughts on “Let’s Talk Music | Top 10 Alternative Songs”
Shut Up and Dance is my absolute favourite at the moment — it’s on repeat! x
It’s so good!!
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one confuse by Tove Lo being on the alternatives chart,
It makes no sense!
I’m so glad you made this post! I’ve been at such a lack of inspiration for my blog post. This really helped. I might just steal this idea. 🙂
Aw, thanks so much!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love Cold War Kids, they have a lot of amazing songs!
I’m obsessed with that song now! I still need to listen to more of their music!
LikeLiked by 1 person